Princess Cruises - Irritated in Alaska

Our Alaska trip Sept 10 - 17 was booked almost a year in advance. Our room was a balcony and I had signed on for the "beverage package" at $750 for two people. In addition, I signed up for three excursions, one being the luxury coach train in Skagway that was for drinks and food for the trip up and back in leather seats etc facing the scenery. I also signed up for roses, shrimp, chocolate strawberries to be in the room upon arrival.

Here is what actually took place-

One week prior to departure I was offered an upgrade for $450 for the two of us to a mini suite. Upon arrival to the room, there were two couples booked for OUR room? Who was this other couple? Not a clue???

The room had the roses, but nothing else?

We ordered some wine and crown royal later that day and eventually, after complaining at the customer service counter we were able to get the rest I had paid for. (The other couple listed at the room never appeared)

The first night in the dining room for us was the first formal night. We had asked for a table for two, second seating. We arrived in tux and dress to match the evening. Our table? Two top seated right next to the wait station, complete with noise of scrapping plates, talk of servers, plates of food, etc. Did we get another table? Apparently not, even though many were open. That was our last night in the dining room we spent every night at Sabatinis or the Steak House, excellent service and food as well at a cost of $59 a night more.

So much for the dining room.

As most of you know, the mail is delivered to you via the plastic mailbox out side your door. Our excursion tickets were there as well as the daily event sheet. Upon opening the package of excursion tickets we noticed there were only two excursions? Weird, we had the confirmation for all three with us. We went to the excursion desk to find out how confirmed tickets somehow were no longer confirmed. The train ride that I had booked was guaranteed according to the receipt, there were only 8 seats left when I bought them and we got two, I thought.

The excursion desk lady told me that the train in the afternoon was cancelled so they gave the seats to those folks? What? No notice to us? Nothing. To bad, to sad or whatever??

We bought two coach seats and went anyway. But the train that they said was NOT going did go, there were plenty of seats on that train and the luxury seats were filled as well.

My guess? I think what Princess did was to accommodate some folks that just had to be on the train and were higher up the chain of importance with them and so we were dumped. No trains had been cancelled according to the folks that ran the trains. I would not trust Princess with another excursion again. Why they could not let us know? What ***.

The liquor package that we bought? It was ok, but if you wanted to order crown on the rocks, they gave you a shot and a half maybe. I had asked if they could at least make it to the halfway mark on the rocks glass? No they would have to charge us an additional $50 for that? There answer was to make us keep coming back for the next drink? Again, weird.

At the end of the cruise, the departure was somewhat hard to figure out. The bus we were to take had a mechanical breakdown, and they substituted a school bus that took us to the Vancouver airport. Many of the folks on that trip were elderly and could hardly manage the steps much less the small seats. IN addition, they could NOT accommodate our carry ons on the school bus, no room. So they took our belongings and put them on another bus telling us they would make sure our stuff was returned at the airport.

The looks on the faces of these old folks wondering what was to happen go their stuff was enough to make you cry. Very sad as they were scared they would not find their belongings.

It's hard enough getting off these ships to begin with. The last thing they needed was more confusion.

Bus sucked by the way.

This letter is being written due to the lack of concern shown us by Princess. No follow up to three letters to them with this story. Sad indeed. I've been on well over 30 cruises, this was by far the worst customer service I've seen by this line.

If you managed to make it to the end of this letter, thanks.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

• Steak house restaurant s
  • What I disliked
    • Excursion director
    • All inclusive drink procedure
    • Departure from ship- bus broke down

Reason of review:
Poor customer service
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Review category
Cruises and Ships
review #936169 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Princess Cruises? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 1 No 1
Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 17 #1228071 Henderson, Nevada

Princess is HORRIBLE! So is Carnival, and Holland America as they are now owned by Princess. Floating Prison, that's what I call them. And you won't get anything from Customer Service. They couldn't care less that you wasted money. I tell everyone I know never to touch Princess/Carnival or Holland America.

1 0 Reply

Oct 14 #1227083 Boulder, Colorado

Crystal is the #1 cruise line for me. Worth the money!

0 0 Reply

Oct 14 #1227077 Las Cruces, New Mexico

I have never been on a cruise, but this one sounds like a trip on the titanic. Sorry this happended to you, but now you know not to use them again. Better luck next time.

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.